Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Welcome

I had heard about felting thru the internet and bought hand equipment and every color of roving imaginable and joined several Yahoo groups on felting, before I knew about Christopher Nejman or his pillow book or Yahoo group. I liked doing this hand technique and made several small things, but knew that I would never fool with this much longer,too slow.

One day last year at work, a co-worker asked if I had been to Christopher Nejman's web site or joined his group. I had never heard about Christopher so I went home and logged onto the internet and was blown away by what I saw on Christopher's web site.
I knew that I had to join his Yahoop group and could not wait to call the next day to order Christopher Nejams Designer Sewing Techniques Pillow Book and CD. Once I saw Christophers tecniques, I knew this was my cup of tea, and it would speak to my inner being.

I love fabrics,yarns,threads, and have always collected these, but now I knew that I needed more stuff. I began collecting and did a very small piece trying out the techniques while I waited for Christopher's Book and was instantly hooked. I never realized what a simple machine with barbed needles and no threads was capable of until I began the projects in Christopher's book.
Christopher's techniques completely take me outside of the box I created around my comfort zone. The complete enjoyment that I get when I am punching down fabric with my embellisher is indescribable.

You have to try it, you'll like it, trust me!!

Being on Christophers group has taught me that Christopher has the patience of a saint, and that making samples is the smartest thing you could do, than making these samples again and again. Making these pillows consist of practicing his techniques until they are right and learning how to critique your own samples. He makes you open your eyes and really see your samples and figure out for yourself where you need to better yourself.

It all began when

My mother said if I wanted to have shorts one summer, here was the faric and pattern and to get started. My seam ripper became my best friend, I was almost discouraged but I persevered and have a love for sewing that continues to this day.

I have been sewing since, making everything you could imagine for my husband and 3 children. Eventually starting a dressmaking business while my children were small, loving it enough to continue for many years. Finally after many years out of the retail market I took my love of sewing and began working at a local fabric/sewing machine dealer. Thru this dealership I was afforded the opportunity to enter machine sponsored fashion contests at the International dealer convention, winning multiple times. I have been teaching for over 17 years sewing and serger machine owners classes, computerized embroidery and other speciality classes. My love of sewing is still strong, now focusing on machine embroidery and my Embellisher machine

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

Kath,
Thanks. Your who I want to be
when I grow up!
Sylvia